2004

Clearance, 25% sampling of archaeological spoil heaps previously undertaken reported in grey literature.

Consolidation of standing remains, volunteer works, fieldwork across the estate and initial efforts to return the palace site to a grassland ecology were celebrated in a temporary marquee established in the Great Hall by the Estate on 26 June.

2001

Twenty first century: Interpretation boards erected.

Major rooms graveled, Annual programme of weeding and tidying instituted and carried out by dedicated volunteers.

1070 William the Conqueror

1070

c1070

William the Conqueror mustered troops at Clarendon, the site was named in documents for the first time in the twelfth century. Romanesque style architecture, widespread use of local Hurdcott greensand, and Caen stone from Normandy.

1630-33

500 oaks felled for ‘making the Paddock Course (deer course) and for other his Majesty’s [services]’.

1644

rendezvous for Royalist forces.

1643

Estate mortgaged to Lord Hatton and others for £20,000.

1640

All lodges in Clarendon Park described as ruinous.

1998

A Clarendon Park Estate Management Plan and outline Countryside Stewardship proposal, funded by English Heritage, was submitted to EH by the KAC Consultancy and the Clarendon Park Estate.

Proposals to remove three ineffectual 19C buttresses from the crag of hall walling were, among other proposals, subsequently implemented and the 1844 plaque reset at ground level to mark the centre of the east wall of the Great Hall.

Consolidation of remains begun on a rolling annual programme.

1640s

7000 fallow deer in the park.

1631

Philip, Earl of Pembroke paid £768.15s.4½d.‘for paling out a course in the park of Clarendon and repairing the Queen’s Manor Lodge in the same park’.

info@clarendonpalace.org.uk

Privacy Policy

Website supported by
heritage-logo