1998

A Clarendon Park Estate Management Plan and outline Countryside Stewardship proposal, funded by English Heritage, was submitted to EH by the KAC Consultancy and the Clarendon Park Estate.

Proposals to remove three ineffectual 19C buttresses from the crag of hall walling were, among other proposals, subsequently implemented and the 1844 plaque reset at ground level to mark the centre of the east wall of the Great Hall.

Consolidation of remains begun on a rolling annual programme.

1987

‘Great Storm’ flattened various trees growing on the fragile palace walls.

1988

Publication by Society of Antiquaries of London of backlog excavations and finds report (see above).

1990

Christopher Gerrard arrived in Winchester and contributed funding applications to English Heritage while pursuing fieldwork on the site and estate.

1993

The Possession of Delia Sutherland by Barbara Neil (Mrs Andrew Christie-Miller) published using a Clarendon Park setting.

1994

RCHM earthwork survey recorded garden platforms along with other earthworks on the site.

Grant from English Heritage to clear fallen trees and remove remaining standing trees from the site exposing abandoned spoil heaps and extensive stub walling.

1996

The King Alfred’s College Archaeological Consultancy submitted a two volume report, funded by English Heritage, on the archaeology of the historic park at Clarendon.

This identified and listed sites by period from prehistory onwards and included a gazetteer of 400 sites and monuments on the estate of which the palace was only one.

1957

Baillie Reynolds, Chief Inspector of Ancient Monuments ‘…it is hardly an exaggeration to say that deterioration can go no further’.

Finds from the 1930s excavations which had survived the war split between the British Museum and the Salisbury Museum.

1966

Nikolaus Pevsner, a visitor in the 1930s, proposed the whole palace should be rebuilt.

1973

Britain’s entry to the European Economic Community affects farming practices.

info@clarendonpalace.org.uk

Privacy Policy

Website supported by
heritage-logo